STUART BOAT ACCIDENT
STUART BOAT ACCIDENT LAWYER
South Florida is home to some of the greatest recreational boating in the country. With nearly one million registered vessels within our state borders, our waterways, national parks, and of course our beautiful ocean coastline bring together local boaters and visitors from around the world. The dark side of our boating culture is that Florida far and away leads the country in both total fatalities and accidents. At Lesser, Lesser, Landy & Smith, our boat accident lawyers have been representing injured plaintiffs across South Florida since we opened for business in 1927, and we will bring our experience to bear in fighting for you and your family’s full recovery in your boating accident claim.
Florida Boat Accident Attorney Helping Clients in Stuart
Were you recently injured in a boat accident in or around Stuart, Florida? You may be eligible to file a boating accident claim. While the waterways around Stuart are ideal for recreational boating, accidents occur when other boaters, mechanics, or other parties fail to behave responsibly. When someone else’s negligence results in a serious boat accident, anyone who has been injured deserves to seek financial compensation for their losses.
The dedicated personal injury lawyers at Lesser, Lesser, Landy & Smith, PLLC can speak with you today about filing a boat accident lawsuit. Do not hesitate to reach out to a Stuart boat accident lawyer at our firm to get started on your case.
Learning More About Boating Accidents in Florida
The following are some facts and figures about boat accidents from the U.S. Coast Guard:
- 4,291 boating accidents occurred in 2017;
- Of the recorded 4,291 boating accidents in 2017, there were 2,629 injuries and 658 deaths;
- Boat accidents result in financial costs of about $46 million in property damage alone each year;
- 76 percent of boating accident deaths result from drowning;
- Nearly 85 percent of fatal boating accident victims were not wearing a life jacket;
- More than 80 percent of fatal boating accidents happen on vessels where the boat operating did not have property instruction in boating safety; and
- Alcohol is the most common contributing factor in boat accidents.
Causes of Boating Accidents in Stuart, Florida
Boat operators have a duty of care to other recreational boaters and others using the Florida waterways. Failure to be careful, or engaging in reckless or careless boating, can cause a serious accident. The following are some examples of causes of boating accidents in Stuart, Florida:
- Intoxicated boating;
- Distracted boating;
- Failure to follow boating rules and regulations;
- Poor maintenance;
- Defective design of boat; and/or
- Manufacturing defect.
Liability in a Stuart Boating Accident Claim
Who is liable in a boating accident in Stuart? The answer to this question can depend on numerous different factors, including how and when the boat accident occurred. In some situations, an injured plaintiff may be able to file a lawsuit against more than one defendant. Examples of parties who may be liable for a boating accident include but are not limited to the following:
- Operator of another recreational vehicle;
- Passenger on the boat;
- Mechanic for the boat;
- Owner of the boat you rented;
- Company that rented you the boat;
- Owner of another boat that crashed into you;
- Designer of the boat or one of its parts; and/or
- Manufacturer of the boat or one of its parts.
File Your Stuart Boat Accident Lawsuit on Time
The statute of limitations (Fla. Stat. § 95.11) for most boat accident claims and other personal injury lawsuits in Stuart Florida is four years. In other words, an injury victim has four years from the date of the accident to file a civil lawsuit seeking compensation. If a potential plaintiff fails to file a claim within that time window, the claim likely will become time-barred.
Do not wait to file your lawsuit. While four years might seem like a long time, evidence can get lost and claims can be more difficult to win as more time passes.
Contact a Boat Accident Lawyer in Stuart
When someone you love gets hurt in a boating accident, it is important to seek compensation by speaking with a Stuart boat accident attorney. An advocate at Lesser, Lesser, Landy & Smith, PLLC can begin working on your case. Contact us for more information about the personal injury services we provide to clients in Florida.