BOCA RATON TRUCK ACCIDENT
BOCA RATON TRUCK ACCIDENTLAWYER
Big commercial vehicles transport goods from Florida to the rest of the country and bring back goods from all the other states. Without these vehicles, commerce would wither in our state.
However, these gigantic trucks are also a true menace on highways. Called different names—big rigs, tractor-trailers, and 18 wheelers—these trucks can cause unimaginable damage when they collide with smaller, lighter passenger vehicles.
After an accident, victims need compensation to cover their expenses, including medical care and lost wages. Contact a seasoned lawyer today to get started on your case.
Types of Truck Accidents
We have met with clients injured in all kinds of collisions. Although every case is different, we have seen some common types of accidents:
- Override. When a truck fails to stop in time, it can ride up onto a vehicle in front of it. If there are people sitting in the back of a vehicle, they can be killed in an override.
- Underride. A smaller vehicle can ride under a big rig and get wedged beneath it. Often, underride accidents shear off the roof of a smaller car, exposing passengers to possibly fatal head injuries.
- Rollover. Large trucks have a higher center of gravity. Improperly loaded cargo can also increase instability. When a trailer rolls over, it can crunch vehicles in adjacent lanes.
- Jackknife. The trailer can swing out in a perpendicular angle to the cab, swiping vehicles in adjacent lanes. The truck also becomes extremely difficult to control.
Regardless of how your truck accident unfolded, many occupants of smaller vehicles suffer horrifying injuries. Victims need immediate medical attention to help limit the damage.
Negligence and Truck Accidents
Many truck accidents are caused by careless errors made by truck drivers. For example, truckers can cause a collision by:
- Distracted driving
- Inadequate surveillance
- Cell phone use
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Failure to check blind spots
- Refusal to yield
Other accidents are also attributed to the trucking company who hired the driver. A company can be negligent in its own right when it does not perform adequate background checks or when it hires someone with a proven poor safety record. A negligent trucking company might owe a victim compensation for injuries.
Challenges with Truck Accidents
Truck accident cases are not like other motor vehicle crashes. Often, the trucking company defends these cases much more aggressively. They might have an investigator immediately at the scene of the accident to collect evidence and talk to you, all the while looking for evidence that relieves the trucking company of responsibility. Many large trucking companies also hire high-priced lawyers to fight off lawsuits and other claims for compensation.
You need the best attorney in your corner. Helpfully, trucking companies usually have larger insurance policies than other drivers, so you can receive full compensation for your injuries. But you must move quickly to pull together the evidence necessary to bring a claim.
Contact Lesser, Lesser, Landy & Smith, PLLC today. We do not charge a fee unless we win your case. You can meet with one of our Boca Raton truck accident lawyers for a free initial consultation.