Michael S. Smith
Shareholder, Lesser, Lesser, Landy & Smith, PLLC
When it comes to standing up for his clients, Mickey Smith always goes back to his roots.
Growing up deep in the heart of coal country West Virginia, Mickey learned early on that hard work yields big results. While his parents were unable to go to college, Mickey earned a merit scholarship to Virginia Tech and then a second one to attend Duke University School of Law.
When he graduated with high honors in 1985, Mickey set his sights on Big Law, representing insurance companies and large corporations, defending claims involving serious personal injury, wrongful death, and insurance bad faith. Mickey ultimately became an equity shareholder at Kubicki Draper, a prestigious statewide defense firm, but after trying over 100 jury trials for insurance companies, he grew frustrated that his skills were being used to defeat victims’ claims.
Mickey realized “Small Town, Big Dreams” really meant working on behalf of innocent victims – ordinary people whose lives have been impacted by the carelessness or negligence of others.
In August 2004, Mickey became a shareholder in Lesser, Lesser, Landy & Smith, PLLC, representing individuals and families who have suffered serious personal injury, wrongful death or have been victimized because of the bad faith practices of an insurance company. He considers the last half of his nearly 40-year legal career by far the most rewarding.
He and his wife Elizabeth, a retired public-school teacher, devote much of their time to community service, supporting organizations including the Neil S. Hirsch Boys & Girls Club of Wellington and the Rotary Club of Wellington.
Some fun facts about Mickey – he is a member of MENSA, roots for the Miami Dolphins, loves to travel (has visited every continent) and jumped out of more than 2,800 perfectly good airplanes during his skydiving days!
- Board Certified and Re-Certified in Civil Trial Law by The Florida Bar (2002 – Present)
- Board Certified and Re-Certified in Civil Trial Law (2002 – Present) and Civil Pretrial Practice Law (2012 – Present) by the National Board of Trial Advocacy
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida, including trial bar (1990)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida (1990)
- Supreme Court of the United States (1990)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit (1986)
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida (1985)
- The Florida Bar (1985)
- MENSA (Membership is limited to those whose IQ is in the top 2% of the population).
- Best Law Firm® – Tier 1 ranking in Personal Injury Litigation and Insurance Law – U.S. News-Best Lawyers (2010 – Present)
- Boca Raton Observer Top Lawyer (2023)
- Palm Beach Illustrated Top Lawyer (2023)
- Best Lawyers in America® – listed in the specialties of Insurance Law and Personal Injury Litigation.
- “AV” rated by Martindale-Hubbell for the highest level of legal ability and ethics
- The Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiffs Lawyers in America
- Florida Super Lawyers; Personal Injury Law.
- Florida Legal Elite
- Florida’s Top Lawyers; Personal Injury Law – Florida Monthly Magazine
- Million Dollar and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Verdicts Hall of Fame – Daily Business Review – 2014 and 2015
- American Association for Justice
- Florida Justice Association
- Palm Beach County Justice Association (Board of Directors, 2003 – 2006)
- Palm Beach County Bar Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates; Palm Beach Chapter Past President
- The Boys & Girls Club (Wellington, FL), Advisory Board of Directors
- Rotary Club of Wellington, FL; Paul Harris Fellow
- Central Palm Beach County Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- Central Palm Beach County Chamber of Commerce Community Foundation, Board of Directors
- Palms West Planning Committee
- Duke University School of Law, J.D., with high honors (1985)
- Virginia Tech, B.S. in Industrial Engineering and Operations Research, magna cum laude (1982)
- Born in Williamson, WV; Married to Lizz since 1983; Lives in Wellington, FL