Today marks the 92nd anniversary of Lesser Lesser Landy & Smith. The Firm was founded by Joseph Lesser from Rome, GA, in a small one-room office inside the Citizens Building in downtown West Palm Beach. Joe had a simple mission: Do your best to help your clients and your community. The Firm is proud to say we still live by his mission.
To celebrate, we thought it would be fun to take a look back at what life was like when Joe Lesser founded the Firm back in 1927.
Major Milestones in 1927:
- Model T ended production, replaced by the Model A
- Gutzon Borglum begins sculpting Mt. Rushmore
- The first transatlantic telephone call from New York City to London
- The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the “Academy” in “Academy Awards,” is founded.
- Pan American Airways’ first flight takes off from Key West, bound for Havana
- Using phone lines, TV is sent from Washington, D.C. to NYC
- Grauman’s Chinese Theater opens in Hollywood, California
Headlines in the News:
- US President Calvin Coolidge creates Federal Radio Commission (FRC)
- Babe Ruth becomes the highest-paid player in MLB history when he signs 3-year, $70,000 per season contract with the New York Yankees
- Charles Lindbergh traveled non-stop on his ‘Spirit of Saint Louis’ flight on May 20-21 from New York’s Long Island to Le Bourget Field in Paris, France.
- President Calvin Coolidge walked outside of his vacation home to waiting reporters, handed them a slip of paper that said, “I do not choose to run for President in nineteen-twenty-eight.”, took no questions, and went back inside.
- Philo Farnsworth demonstrates the first use of his electronic television in San Francisco
- The Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS) goes on air with 18 stations (and WOR as NYC affiliate)
- The Holland Tunnel opens to connect Manhattan and Jersey City, N.J., giving cars a route under the Hudson River and an alternative to ferry boats
- Cost of a US Postage stamp $ .02
- Cost of a pound of butter $ .55
- Actor Jerry Stiller is born
- Kool-aide was invented
- Gene Austin – My Blue Heaven is released
- Felix the Cat was the first giant balloon to be in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Miami Hurricanes first varsity squad
- National Geographic publishes the first underwater color photographs
- Walt Disney tried to get MGM studios to distribute Mickey Mouse and was told that the idea would never work because a giant mouse on the screen would terrify women
Though a lot has changed in 92 years, one thing has not – our dedication and devotion to our clients and our community.