It’s the most wonderful time of the year. The holiday season is an exciting time for many. It’s a time of joy and celebration. But the holidays also bring with them increased dangers on the road.
Generally, there are more motor vehicle crashes during the holiday season than any other time of the year. According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, an increase in driver stress coupled with a decrease in patience, aggressive driving, reckless driving, and impaired driving are all contributing factors to an increase in motor vehicle fatalities during the holiday season. In fact, on New Year’s Eve alone, more than 50% of the fatal crashes are due to impaired drivers. Additionally, alcohol and drug-related car crashes skyrocket between the 12-hour period between December 31 at 6pm and January 1 at 6am.
Here are a few tips to keep you safe as you travel during the holidays:
- Leave early: Give yourself enough time to reach your destination keeping in mind that roads may be congested.
- Remain alert and calm: Make sure that you are well-rested before traveling. Try to avoid getting on the road when it’s too early or too late. This will ensure that you are focused on the road and other drivers. Your goal is to reach your destination safely.
- Avoid distractions: Do not text while driving, enable your Bluetooth device, and limit your interaction with passengers in your vehicle.
- Drive sober: Alcohol-related crashes are 100% preventable. If you choose to consume alcohol, do so responsibly. Make sure you have a designated driver or use a ride share service such as Uber or Lyft.
- When in doubt, sit it out: If you’re feeling uneasy or anxious about your travels, stay home. There are so many fun ways to enjoy your holiday in the safety and security of your home.
Sometimes, despite your best efforts at safe driving, you may get into a collision. If you or someone you love is injured in a crash, Lesser, Lesser, Landy & Smith may be able to help. Our attorneys are experienced Florida personal injury attorneys with years of experience representing injured clients and their families in a wide variety of injury claims and lawsuits. One of the advocates at our firm can assess your case today. Contact Lesser, Lesser, Landy & Smith PLLC for more information about how we can assist you.